The most recent version of the Symmes Township Property Maintenance Code is Version 9 Revised.
Version 9 Revised PDF Download
Current Nuisance Authority under the Ohio Revised Code:
● Abatement of Building Nuisances – ORC Section 505.06. This section of the ORC only allows for the abatement of taxes if a structure is demolished after a lot or parcel against which delinquent taxes, assessments, interest of penalties remain unpaid for more than a year.
● Storage of Junk Motor Vehicles – ORC Section 505.173. This section of the ORC only allows the Trustees to adopt resolutions to regulate the storage of junk motor vehicles on private or public property within the Township.
● Removal, repairs or securance of insecure, unsafe buildings or structures – ORC Section 505.86. This section of the ORC only allows the Trustees by resolution to remove, repair, or secure buildings or other structures in the Township that have been declared insecure, unsafe, or structurally defective by any fire department or building department or other structures that have been declared to be in a condition dangerous to life or health, or unfit for human habitation by the Board of Health or general health district.
● Abatement, control, or removal of vegetation, garbage, refuse and other debris – ORC Section 505.87. This section of the ORC allows the Trustees to provide for the abatement, control or removal of vegetation, garbage, refuse and other debris from land in the Township if they determine that it constitutes a nuisance. If the owner, after being notified, fails to abate the nuisance, then the Board shall provide for the abatement. If there are any expenses incurred by the Board in performing that task, then it shall be entered upon the tax duplicate and become a lien upon the land from the date of entry.
● Removal of Junk Motor Vehicles – ORC Section 505.871. This section of the ORC allows the Trustees to remove any vehicle from private property if the Board determines that the vehicle is a junk vehicle after notice has been given. Any expense that the Board incurs for the removal may be placed on the tax duplicate and becomes a lien upon the land from the date of entry.
Proposed Property Maintenance Code for Symmes Township